Pages

Monday, June 30, 2014

blockage

My work as a composer has been so blocked up for the past seven months, I feel like I'm dying as a musician of any sorts. I can't seem to teach myself enough to get me anywhere or learn anything new that will help me. Sure I can still sing, but I sing very little these days. Sometimes I don't even want to sing, and for that I often feel ashamed. The fact that I often don't want to write and that I have zero desire to write boggles me. I'm not sure if I really can call myself a composer anymore.
I went looking for some advice online today, in which I came across some other musicians ranting about how they couldn't get anything done or something that helped them. Most of them seem to just force themselves into getting something on the paper no matter how long it takes. I've tried this, and other things, but the longer I sit trying, the angrier and more frustrated I get as time goes on. This hardly seems productive or helpful. Especially if I just wind up crying and hating music all the more with each passing moment. There has to be something better.
So what am I to do? Am I not meant for a career in music? Okay, fine. But then what am I meant for and when do I start? I must work if I wish to eat, and it seems utterly unfair for me to have all that I do, but to have yet to put in a full day's work to deserve any bit of it.
Will I ever write something worthwhile? Will I ever contribute to the world I live in?
...... I'm tired now. Maybe I'm due for a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment