Pages

Monday, June 30, 2014

oil pulling, part 1

This might be weird, but here goes.

Confession: I haven't used toothpaste or mouthwash in over a week. And no, my teeth have not rotted out and I don't have horrible breath (or no one's told me so).

If you know me well, you know that I have horrible oral health (thanks genetics). The past 3 years have been a major battle to keep my teeth and gums healthy. I've had multiple, thorough cleanings with a great dentist, but despite all the prescription toothpaste, daily flossing and/or use of my WaterPik, I've still been struggling to keep my gums from bleeding and my teeth hurting. I've had 3 crowns done, over a dozen fillings, and since having those done, I've had high sensitivity, particularly to very cold things (even cold air outside). We're talking a major investment here, and my mouth is probably worth a few grand in cash (praise God for good insurance!).

I'm telling you, I have wanted to cry on some nights before my dental rituals because I'm so tired of battling my own teeth. If you think my diet is contributing, I'm not the type of person with a poor diet. I eat well, drink sodas maybe twice a week, and also limit the amount of juices I drink to limit acid. So why hasn't all the normal dental care helped? You got me.

In desperation, I hit up Google and started a search for alternative care. One option I came across is Oil Pulling.

Stay with me. I know it sounds weird, but you may find it worthwhile.

I have been oil pulling for over a week now, and so far I'm optimistic. I use about a teaspoon of coconut oil (you can also use sesame or olive oil, and probably some others) and swish it in between my teeth for about 15 to 20 minutes every morning. I do it while I'm in the shower (per another lady's suggestion). When I'm done, I spit the oil in the trash (so I don't clog up the sink) and rinse my mouth with water.
I have also kept up with my flossing, simply because I want to keep up something normal while I do this, and with my crowded teeth, it's probably best if I keep that up. At night, I will put some coconut oil on my toothbrush if I feel like they need a scrub, or I will just dry-brush with some warm water.

The results?

1. My gums are pinker than they have been in years. I'm talking pretty bubblegum pink. Any redness in your gums usually means there's some bad bacteria action going on in there, and so your gums get inflamed. This can cause your gums to bleed during brushing or flossing. So far, I've had no bleeding, and most of my redness/inflammation is gone.

2. My sensitivity is practically gone. Seriously. I put it to the test and filled my mouth with freezing cold water and swished it around. I didn't even flinch. (I'll keep an eye on this to be sure it continues)

So far, oil pulling seems to be working. A couple things I will still be watching are the moisture of my mouth (having a well-salivated mouth is important to oral health, and mine often feels dry), as well as the general cleanliness and healthiness. I've heard that it can also whiten teeth, but I'm not too concerned with aesthetics at this time.

If you're interested in this, you can check out this link and this link that I've been focusing on as far as oral healthcare goes. I'll keep updating about this and we'll see what happens!

P.S. - I'm not a doctor or dentist, and this is an experiment in natural remedies for me, so I can't guarantee any results or give any medical advice about this. I'm simply posting my experiences with this and telling you what I've found to work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment